Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Let's call this my blogging mulligan.

As per awesome roommate's request...

List 5 things that certain people (who are not deserving of being your friend anyway) may consider to be "totally lame," but you are, despite the possible stigma, totally proud of. Own it.

1. I adore bad reality tv shows. Hear me? ADORE THEM!!!! I used to be ashamed of it, but no longer. It is my vice and I figure it's much better than smoking and drinking too much and other bad vices, so hooray for me.

Do I love...

So You Think You Can Dance? I'm white, so I know I can't. But I wish I could be an angel like those on the show.
American Idol? Amazing. If only for the auditions.
Intervention? I can stop watching whenever I want to ... just one more episode.
Project Runway? You are the metro male in my tv land.
America's Next Top Model? More fierceness than any other fierce thing ever fierced.
Dog the freaking Bounty Hunter? Two words...bear mace! Go with Christ, bra.

Yes. Yes I do.


2) Collages. I love looking at beautiful ones like all those on velvet-and-rust.com which i feature in my blog regularly. But more importantly I make them. And I think they look pretty damn good. For me it's therapeutic and very zen. I can't really draw. And I definitely can't paint. But I do know what looks powerful and moving and when I can't take a picture of it I have no choice but to make it.


3) Speaking of taking pictures, I carry my camera on me at pretty much all times. Mostly cause before I had it, I would always say, "Damn! I wish I had a camera right now!" I like to capture my life without being removed from it. My camera lets me do that. I guess that may not seem lame to everyone, until I point out that I have about 2,000 pictures on my computer right now, and have only had it for about a year. Maybe more, actually... Oh! And I edit pretty much all of them before sending them to friends. This includes red-eye reduction, color editing, etc. It can take hours for big batches. But I adore it.


4) I know way too much random trivia. Not only that, but I often get the unstoppable urge to share it with people who probably don't care about it, one way or the other. Most of it is about entertainment, and in particular film and television. I quote the Simpsons all the time, for instance. All-the-time. Not only that, but I constantly I am filling my head with new stuff. I love watching movies while hitting the IMdB page for it and reading the trivia section.

Furthering this lameness, I've talked with a couple of my friends about starting a team to go to the next pop trivia bowl. Why did we decide to do this, you ask? Because all three of us separately watched the latest one on VH1 and knew most of the answers. And when we realized that the only section we didnt have down hard was The Brady Bunch, we decided that we needed to at least give it a second thought.

It's where my nerdiness prevails more than anyone else's. And I'm damn proud of it.


5) I want to write critical reviews. Specifically ones for movies. That's right. I want to be a film critic. People give me the strangest looks when I mention that. Either they are thinking to themselves that film critics are totally lame nerds or they are thinking that it's a silly thing to want to do. But for as long as I can remember I have loved watching movies and talking about them. Plus I love writing more than just about everything. And when I took a criticism class the reviews i wrote were praised heavily by one of the best critics in Chicago, let alone the Midwest. It's a dream of mine that will come true in some capacity some day. And when that happens, guess who'll be happy. Me, that's who!


Now i'm supposed to pass this on to five more people, but I don't know that many that blog. So this shall end with me. But I will continue to update this more frequently than once every three months. I promise.

No comments: