Friday, February 15, 2008

I'm a Nerd Magnet who loves her job. I'm what every little girl dreams of being...


My office kicks ass.

It's been about a month since I started my awesome job (hooray!) and I feel like I have enough perspective now to judge this. Now I can say definitively that it is great for me, and I'm truly happy with how events have played out on the job front for me.

Cool, ain't it? So cool, I feel the need to make a list.


I adore my office for all the following reasons:
A Report By Kendragon
1. It's small (only seven of us right now), so the personnel issues you get with a bigger office aren't an issue.

2. The people are all radio people...meaning they have an entertainment industry mindset sans being overly dramatic, combined with a shoot-from-the-hip business mentality. AKA my kind of people.

3. Two of my bosses are married to each other and have kids together, so we get all national holidays off that school kids get. Woo hoo for no working on President's Day, am I right?
4. My one boss brings in yummy treats for us. Like giant frosted cookies for Valentine's Day. Yum!
5. The office is really laid back, meaning that we don't have to dress to impress (I do anyway) and as long as we get our work done no one has a problem with people having random conversations.
6. Everyone's just as cynical as I am and has the same taste in arts things as me...something I haven't been able to find thus far in Cleveland.

7. My most direct boss is an amazing lady. Not only does she have a Chihuahua named Toadie that I dog sit for, but when I go over to do that she doesn't get pissed when I channel Mighty Thor and destroy her house (see previous blog...and to update on that, she said it was no big deal and not to worry about it cause it was already broken...I'm freaking lucky, y'all.). She has taught me a huge amount and truly wants to see me succeed. She genuinely thanks me for everything I do which you would think would be irritating but is oddly refreshing. And finally, she brought me in a glass to keep at my desk after I mentioned that I liked using one when I was house sitting for her because she thought it was cute that I said it made me feel like I was drinking from a Mason Jar. She's fucking awesome.

Ya, my job's great. And I'm super fantastically pleased about it. Yay!!!

On a fairly unrelated note, I recently had an epiphany. I think I figured out why I ain't got no mans right now.

I'm a nerd magnet.

The only people that seem to be attracted to me instantaneously anymore are simply put huge dorks. I think this is because I'm a girl who's educated, knows all the same random pop culture they do (read as Family Guy/Simpsons/Futurama references, cult movie knowledge, and general cursory information about comics, comix, and graphic novels), has a crass, self-deprecating sense of humor with a twinge of a black streak, and by standard social definitions is above averagely attractive in a girl next door sense but to nerds is gorgeous since I'm probably the prettiest girl who's ever talked to them beyond general politeness.

Not that I dislike any part of me that attracts these fellas, who aren't bad guys by the by. It's just...I'm not at all attracted to how these kinds of guys stereotypically look. The kind of guys I like are one of two: 1) the lighter end of frat boy jocks, 2) the cleaned up, well dressed version of rock loving, jean wearing boys next door. Problem there...those guys are either huge assholes who I don't want to talk to me...ever (besides most of them like the "Oh my God! You're soooooooo cute! If you talk to me I'll be so impressed with your jockular quips that I'd be stupid to not sleep with you and I totally won't care if you never call me again just as long as when you come by for a booty call you praise me and pet me like the shaking, overly preened little poodle I am!" girls, which I am most definitely not...it works out well), or are so nice and kind that they have wonderful, gorgeous, kind girlfriends already and I'm SOL.

There have only been two times when the path between those who find me attractive and those who I find attractive have met in any real way. And both ended rather sadly but with friendships still in tact. Swell outcome I guess, but doesn't really do me much good.

So what's a girl to do? I'm a freaking catch but can't find someone to share my time with (all I'm asking for at this point, really). I'm smart, witty, attractive, and talented. I have a great job and great friends. I'm driven and have goals for my life that I'm working towards. I have so much going for me...

Oh wait, the only guys interested in that kind of girl are dorky nerdy nerds. Sigh.

Oh well. I love my job. It's fantastic. Guess that'll do for now.

No comments: