Thursday, March 15, 2007

Ode to Awesome Roommate


I love my roommate.


I haven't shared this fact for a bit, and all day long she has been in my thoughts, so I now feel the need to share this.


My awesome roommate is many things that I love and adore. Besides being so much one of my best friends that I've come to think of her as my sister from another mister, she is scarily smart, a brilliant writer, a talented performer, funny as all get out, an excellent (and might I add helpful!) listener, a lover of all things great and wonderful in this world (most particularly cult/asian movies and burlesque) and beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!


She has survived so many truly, deeply difficult things (ones that would leave most people that complain about trivial bullshit to whomever will listen in a tear soaked ball on the floor) with pose, strength, humor, and resilience. She calls me on my bullshit when I need it and hugs me when I don't. She likes to flash me when entering a room of our shared living space, and this never fails to make me smile. She is supportive of me and all others close to her in a more true sense than I have ever seen.


In the simplest terms possible, I adore my awesome roommate.


But all gushing aside, I am nervous for her today. She has some post-graduation/first real job interviews today that she is about to wrap up as I type this. She is more than qualified for the position and I truly wish her the best of luck.


She was a bit worried last night about all this (understandablly so!), which wasn't helped by the fact that we got locked out of the apartment around midnight (karma punishing smoking...) and I had to convince our downstairs neighbors to help us out. But because my awesome roomie is so wonderful, by the time I got the fellas up there to help out, she had figured out a way to pick the lock well enough that with a firm turn from their manly hands the door popped right open.


Cause that's how cool my roommate is, Lucky Readers.


We could totally rob banks together. If we were so inclined...


And then we would travel the country side in our black Model T, with me at the wheel and awesome roomie manning the tommy gun while screaming "You'll never get us alive, Coppers!" through her set teeth that are clamped down hard on a stogie before we miraculously lose them and head over to our hideout which will be stocked with food from Stella's diner, sudoku/crossword puzzles lining the walls, and Dante wandering about being adorable.